The best six ways to clear storage space on your iPhone without deleting any apps
Your iPhone is full with your favourite apps, but you need more storage space and you also do not wish to delete your apps to free up some space on the phone. But not to worry as you can still have as much of free space you want without deleting any of your apps. Here are the best six ways to do so. Just follow the simple steps as described below.
1. Delete your texts that may have stored on your iPhone forever
Do you know that by default your iPhone stores your texts forever. It’s great when if you need to check that text from over a year ago, but not if you need the space.
- To sort this out, go to your Settings and then tap Messages.
- Scroll down until you see Message History and tap Keep Messages.
- You can change ‘Forever’ to 30 Days/month or one Year.
- You will be asked if you want to do this and, if so, tap Delete.
- Make sure you’ve backed up important message before deleting them all
2. Delete the double saved photos
You need to check and make sure you don’t double-save photos. If you use the HDR (High Dynamic Range) you’ve probably noticed that your phone saves two photos.
- To stop this go to Settings and select Photos & Camera.
- Scroll down to the bottom and switch off Keep Normal Photo.
- The iPhone 7 Plus has an extra option for Portrait mode that you can turn off.
- Swipe right to turn off the Keep Normal Photo option
Also if you are an avid Instagrammer you’ve probably also noticed that you phone saves two photos, the original and the one with the filter. To stop this go into the Instagram app, tap on your profile and then hit the Settings icon in the upper-right corner. Then turn off the Save Original Photos option.
You also need to check the Photo Stream also to delete double saved photos
This doesn’t take up as much space as the original photos, but these are duplicates of photos that you already have on your phone.
- Go to Settings, then Photos & Camera and then switch off Upload to My Photo Stream.
- The photos will be deleted off your phone, but will remain on the iCloud from 30 days from the date you uploaded them. Note that you are not deleting any original photos from your phone or photos that have been saved on the iCloud. These will only delete the photos from your Photo Stream, not the camera roll.
- It will ask you again if you want to turn off the stream. If so, just hit Delete
3. Clear your browser cache for more space
If you use Safari, you iPhone could be storing web history and data. You need to delete that to make some free space on your iPhone.
- To clear the browser cache, open the Settings app and tap on Safari.
- Scroll down and hit Clear History and Website Data.
- You will asked if to make sure if you really want to do this and if you do, you should press Clear History and Data
4. Delete downloaded music
Well many of you may not like this to do as music lovers do not wish to part with their music. But in the age of Spotify and Soundcloud, using your iPhone to store music has become obsolete for some.
- Just go into Settings, then General, then Storage & iCloud Usage and then Manage Storage.
- Find Apple Music on the list. You can swipe to delete individual songs or you can select All Songs.
- The Music app can take up a lot of space if you’ve downloaded loads of tunes
5. Delete downloaded podcasts
Unlike music, you probably don’t go back and re-listen to an old podcast.
- To delete them follow the same prompts as you did for music but tap on Podcasts instead of Apple Music.
- You can swipe to delete podcasts for each show.
- Just swipe to delete the podcasts
6. Delete your reading list
Safari’s offline reading list can take up space by storing web pages for you to read when you have no internet connection.
- Go to Settings, then General and then Storage & iCloud Usage.
- Under Storage hit Manage Storage and then Safari. Swipe left on Offline Reading List.
You will find that after following these six ways you will have ample free space on your iPhone to store other important things that you need or to download your favourite app.